ARCHER2 to JASMIN pptransfer task failed

Hi,

I am trying to get pptransfer between Archer2 and Jasmin to work and have followed the instructions in the documentation but my suite fails with:

[WARN] file:atmospp.nl: skip missing optional source: namelist:moose_arch
[WARN] file:atmospp.nl: skip missing optional source: namelist:script_arch
[WARN] [SUBPROCESS]: Command: rsync -av --stats --rsync-path=mkdir -p /gws/nopw/j04/edin_cesd/hannah/u-cj051/19790101T0000Z && rsync /work/n02/n02/s2261584/archive/u-cj051/19790101T0000Z/ xfer1.jasmin.ac.uk:/gws/nopw/j04/edin_cesd/hannah/u-cj051/19790101T0000Z
[SUBPROCESS]: Error = 255:
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.3]

[WARN] Transfer command failed: rsync -av --stats --rsync-path=“mkdir -p /gws/nopw/j04/edin_cesd/hannah/u-cj051/19790101T0000Z && rsync” /work/n02/n02/s2261584/archive/u-cj051/19790101T0000Z/ xfer1.jasmin.ac.uk:/gws/nopw/j04/edin_cesd/hannah/u-cj051/19790101T0000Z
[ERROR] transfer.py: Unknown Error - Return Code=255
[FAIL] Command Terminated
[FAIL] Terminating PostProc…
[FAIL] transfer.py # return-code=1

I was hoping for some help as I cannot work out why this is not working.

Thank you,

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Can you log into login-4c.archer2.ac.uk and then make sure you can run ssh xfer1.jasmin.ac.uk and get to JASMIN without any prompt for passphrase or other input.

Regards,
Ros.

Hi Ros,

It asks me for my passphrase when I run that command. Transfer manually via globus-url-copy works fine and this uses xfer1.

Thanks,
Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Can you make sure you have followed the setup here:
http://cms.ncas.ac.uk/wiki/Archer2/PPTransfer#SetuprequiredonARCHER2

In particular that you have an ssh-agent running and have added the jasmin ssh-key to it. The connection must not ask for a passphrase or any other information in order for pptransfer to work correctly.

Cheers,
Ros.

Hi Ros,

I think I have found my mistake as I added the agent lines to my .profile not to .bash_profile and now can log into xfer1 without a password. Thank you for your help. My suite is reading as ‘retrying’ on the Puma Rose-Bush Tasklist, is it possible to manually restart only the pptransfer tasks?

Cheers,
Hannah

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Glad you’ve managed to resolve it. Gets a bit confusing with the different *profiles!

If you right click on the pptransfer task in the cylc GUI you can then select “Trigger-run now”.
Cheers,
Ros.

Hi Ros,

Since the update to the .bash_profile and removing the line from .profile I am now receiving a RosePOpenError when I try to run the suite:
[FAIL] ssh -oBatchMode=yes s2261584@login-4c.archer2.ac.uk bash --login -c ‘ROSE_VERSION=2016.11.1\ rose\ suite-run\ -v\ -v\ --name=u-cj051\ --run=run\ --remote=uuid=21c884c1-33da-4abc-aacb-95e8c740e61b,root-dir=$DATADIR’ # return-code=127, stderr=
[FAIL] bash: rose: command not found

As this is all I have changed I am guessing this is related to the profiles and have checked that when I log into Archer2 via Puma I get the response:
‘puma$ ssh login-4c.archer2.ac.uk
PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
Comand rejected by policy. Not in authorised list
Connection to login-4c.archer2.ac.uk closed.’
as expected from 1. Getting set up — NCAS Unified Model Introduction

Sorry to ask again, I am worried my resolving of the issue before has simply created another issue!

Best,
Hannah

Hi Hannah,

You’ll need to move the setup of the UM environment into the ~/.bash_profile too as the presence of the ~/.bash_profile means the ~/.profile won’t be run.

#  Setup environment for running the UM under Rose
. /work/y07/shared/umshared/bin/rose-um-env

Regards,
Ros.