Cfa error in reading pp files in jasmin-sci

Hi,

I am trying to convert some pp files to netCDF in JASMIN-sci using CFA. I am using Python 3.8 environment. CFA is not being able to read any of my UM pp files. I am getting the following error:

cfa ERROR reading /gws/nopw/j04/incompass/shared/model/MD17/field.pp/20160704T0000Z_INCOMPASS_km17_ga6_pa000.pp: Can’t determine format of file /gws/nopw/j04/incompass/shared/model/MD17/field.pp/20160704T0000Z_INCOMPASS_km17_ga6_pa000.pp

Any clues?

Thanks,
Arathy

Arathy

Can you move that file somewhere we can read it - to your home space maybe if the file’s not too big?

Grenville

Hi Arathy,

You’re using module load jaspy and it looks like there is an issue with jaspy / cf-python meaning that cfa reading pp files gives an error. As a work around you can type:
export PATH=/home/users/ajh/miniconda3_cfview/bin:$PATH

I will have a further look at this tomorrow and update the ticket when I know more.

Cheers
Andy

Thanks Grenville and Andy.

I put a copy of the file into my home amenon, but the conversion is working now after exporting this new path that Andy gave.

Cheers,
Arathy

Hi Andy,

I am having a new issue with CFA while converting a bunch of pp files into an nc file. The CFA command returns an error message as follows:

cfa ERROR writing file.nc: ‘NoneType’ object is not subscriptable

I have copied the pp files to ‘/home/users/amenon/test_cfa/’ if you want to have a look at them.

CFA is working fine for other data from the same model. The error is occurring while converting these specific pb stream files.

Thanks,
Arathy

Hi Arathy,

Your JASMIN home directory is too restrictive in permissions and I cannot see your files. Please do something like chmod 755 ~ so I can see them.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I changed the permissions. Hopefully you can access them now.

Cheers,
Arathy

Hi Arathy,
Thanks - I can see the files now.

I get no error using export PATH=/home/users/ajh/miniconda3_cfview/bin:$PATH
and cfa /home/users/amenon/test_cfa/*

I suspect a file system has become full leading to the error that you saw. Try running the cfa command on the files in your home directory and see if you still get the same error.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I have the above path exported and I am not getting any error when I do cfa /home/users/amenon/test_cfa/* in my home directory. But the error is appearing when I am specifying the output file name as in:

cfa -o test.nc /home/users/amenon/test_cfa/*

Its creating the output file test.nc even after giving the error message, but the output file has only a few number of variables compared to the pp files. So the output is incomplete.

Cheers,
Arathy

Hi Andy,

The cfa was working fine for me since the above ticket, after the cfdm upgrade. But now I am having a new issue with cfa. Its is returning the following error while aggregating some of the pp streams into nc:

cfa ERROR writing /gws/nopw/j04/incompass/shared/model/WG17/nc/WG_19Juneto01July2016_km17_PC.nc: None

I noticed that the cfa command is working fine when the individual input pp file sizes are smaller. The above error occurs mostly for large-sized files. Even after showing the error message, cfa is combining the pp files and generating an nc file . But the nc file contains only part of the data from the pp files.

I have copied the pp files of one of these streams (PC stream) with this issue to the jasmin folder

/home/users/amenon/PC_forAndy

and have changed the permissions, so that you can have a look. Hopefully, you can access them. Please let me know if you find a solution to this.

Thanks,
Arathy

Hi Arathy,

Using /miniconda3_cfview/bin/cfa and

cfa -o ll.nc /home/users/amenon/PC_forAndy/*.pp

I get a ll.nc file that looks okay and no error message. Do you still get the error message when doing the same?

Cheers
Andy

Oops… my mistake! Sorry Andy. I was thinking that I already had this path in my bashrc. Apparently I had /anaconda3/bin:$PATH. Its all working fine now.
Thanks,
Arathy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.