FCM make fail for global suite u-bb316

Hello,
I’m getting the following job.err message

‘Environment variables set for netCDF Fortran bindings in
/apps/libs/netCDF/intel14/fortran/4.2/
You will also need to link your code to a compatible netCDF C library in
/apps/libs/netCDF/intel14/4.3.2/’

when I try to run a copy of the u-bb316 global suite. Any ideas how I can resolve this?
Many thanks,
Natalie

Hi Natalie:
What is your JASMIN username and is the suite number for the suite you’re working on the same as the u-bb316 global suite?

I have been running a modified copy of the u-bb316 global suite (it is ~pmcguire/roses/u-da046 ). I don’t remember if it was decided that I would run the global suite or you would. But I can stop if you were the chosen one.
Or I can keep running it, if I was the chosen one.

I vaguely recall seeing warnings in other suites like you are quoting here, and I never worried about those warnings. But I can’t immediately find a suite that had those warnings. Maybe you don’t need to worry about those warnings? But I don’t see those warnings in my u-da046 global suite that is currently running. So, you can use diff -r to compare your copy of the u-bb316 suite with my ~pmcguire/roses/u-da046 suite, to see what the differences are, and maybe that will fix the warning messages that you see?
Patrick

Hello Patrick,
I am not the chosen one this time - lol.
I am, however, looking for a simple low-res suite to do a global run on JULES and I remember you mentioned u-bb316 before. Is your suite u-da046 the best one for this purpose?
Perhaps the errors I was getting aren’t the real issue, in that case, as the suite failed at fcm make. It copied to my roses folder as u-dd217.
Natalie

It looks like the error messages for fcm_make in your u-dd217 suite are the ones that begin after the lines of the job.err file that you quoted.

The error messages begin with [FAIL] mpif90 -oo/water_constants_mod.o -c -DSCMA -DBL_DIAG_HACK -DINTEL_FORTRAN -I./include -I/apps/sw/libs/netCDF/intel14/fortran/4.2/include -heap-arrays -fp-model precise -traceback /home/users/ndouglas/cylc-run/u-dd217/share/fcm_make/preprocess/src/jules/src/params/standalone/water_constants_mod_jls.F90: command not found.

The key word here is the word [FAIL]. That often means an error instead of just a warning.
The lines before that don’t have this [FAIL] keyword.

I think that this means that for whatever reason, it couldn’t find the compiler mpif90.

Maybe you didn’t go through this tutorial for how to modify u-bb316 and then run it on JASMIN?:

That tutorial might need a bit of updating, but it worked in October. Let me know if you see anything that needs changing.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,
I didn’t know about this tutorial, thank you! I have checked out a copy of u-as052 and made the changes - I’m just waiting for access to the ncas_generic workspace before running the suite.
FYI, regarding tutorial point 9, the original suite has output_dir='/work/scratch/pmcguire/config/outputs' and not
output_dir='/work/scratch-pw2/pmcguire/config/outputs'. (pw2 IS MISSING)
and I was little unclear if point 11 actually required any changes to the suite. I hope that’s helpful to you.
I will let you know how it goes, thanks again!
Natalie

Hi Natalie:
Hopefully you’ll get approved for ncas_generic GWS access soon.
I’ve updated steps 9 & 11 of the tutorial. Thanks for pointing those issues out to me.
The tutorial might need further updating. Please do let me know if you see any other issues with it.
Patrick