Replacing id_rsa_archerum

Hello,
I think I have never actually run a UM suite from puma to archer2 and did not have an id_rsa_archerum in pumanew ~/.ssh.
I have just created a fresh one and the help pages say it will be auto detected in the next couple of days. I have also done this:
markr@pumanew:~/.ssh>ssh-add ./id_rsa_archerum
Enter passphrase for ./id_rsa_archerum:
Identity added: ./id_rsa_archerum (./id_rsa_archerum)
markr@pumanew:~/.ssh>

Do I have to do anything else? (markr on pumanew and mricha on archer2) I did this because the suite failed to launch. /home/markr/roses/u-ct529 perhaps I should try a simpler suite first.

thanks,
MarkR

Hi Mark,

Your id_rsa_archerum key has now been added to ARCHER2. Please check you get the following response when logging to ARCHER2 from puma.

ros@pumanew$ ssh login.archer2.ac.uk
PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
Comand rejected by policy. Not in authorised list 
Connection to login.archer2.ac.uk closed.

Regards,
Ros.

Hi Ros,

Yes I go the message you indicated but rose suite-run still fails.

[FAIL] ssh -oBatchMode=yes -n mricha@login.archer2.ac.uk env\ ROSE_VERSION=2019.01.3\ CYLC_VERSION=7.8.12\ bash\ -l\ -c\ '"$0"\ "$@"'\ rose\ suite-run\ -vv\ -n\ u-ct529\ –run=run\ –remote=uuid=bc3521ee-54fc-4d6e-a889-bb8d3ae2a657,now-str=20230118T120306Z,root-dir='$DATADIR' # return-code=255, stderr=

[FAIL] Host key verification failed.

markr@pumanew:~/roses/u-ct529>ssh-add -l

4096 SHA256:mniZil9oDVQTvD/Is10l49iREMINH2WXIPK5c8O2NrU ./id_rsa_archerum (RSA)

image001.jpg

Hi Mark,

Please try logging into each login nodes 1-4 (e.g. login1.archer2.ac.uk). At least one of them will list a dodgey key that will need removing from your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.

Regards,
Ros.

Hi Ros,
I just the ssh command tried again to make it match the rose suite command:
markr@pumanew:~/roses/u-ct529>ssh mricha@login.archer2.ac.uk
Warning: the ECDSA host key for ‘login.archer2.ac.uk’ differs from the key for the IP address ‘193.62.216.42’
Offending key for IP in /home/markr/.ssh/known_hosts:6
Matching host key in /home/markr/.ssh/known_hosts:18
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes

then the suite again still fails like this:
[FAIL] Host key verification failed.

Remove the offending key and try again - there may be more than one offending key.

Offending key for IP in /home/markr/.ssh/known_hosts:6

Well there are several similar IP in the known hosts 192.62.216.4* so maybe I have to delete all those as “login.archer2.ac.uk” is likely to be several machines

markr@pumanew:~/roses/u-ct529>ssh mricha@login.archer2.ac.uk
The authenticity of host ‘login.archer2.ac.uk (193.62.216.45)’ can’t be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:UGS+LA8I46LqnD58WiWNlaUFY3uD1WFr+V8RCG09fUg.
ECDSA key fingerprint is MD5:71:2a:aa:7a:b1:a5:43:03:d2:ec:4a:da:5f:c0:0f:8c.
Warning: Permanently added ‘login.archer2.ac.uk’ (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Warning: the ECDSA host key for ‘login.archer2.ac.uk’ differs from the key for the IP address ‘193.62.216.45’
Offending key for IP in /home/markr/.ssh/known_hosts:2

Yes, indeed. Hence my comment above about logging into each ARCHER2 login node.

oops missed that message! will delete all those 62.4* and try login1-4 and then tray suite.

Hmm,
no progress yet. the archer2 IPS reoved and logins1 to login4 ssh’d as expected (I can even do an ls command)
markr@pumanew:~/.ssh>ssh mricha@login4.archer2.ac.uk ls
bin
BUILD
cesm_prep
ck-bin
cylc-run
Docker
Experimental
later_dot_cime
monc_module_prep_202207.txt
mr_dot_cime_fragments
mrigrep.txt
my_modules
NOTES
Projects
PythonHPC.zip
SingWork
SW
TAR_files

but no joy from suite u-ct529

not sure where to look next. the id_rsa_archerum was generated fresh last night and I used the ssh-setup so that th ssh-add shows it is live. also the “ls” succeeded. I could send you a "ssh -v -v -v " log if it helps.

markr

Does ssh mricha@login.archer2.ac.uk give the expected response too?

Are you retriggering the task or doing a rose suite-run? If the former, try stopping the suite and starting it again. Sometimes cylc doesn’t pickup the new ssh changes.

Yeah I’m in:

markr@pumanew:~/.ssh>grep archer known_hosts
login1.archer2.ac.uk,193.62.216.42 ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBEnMeFf1TPZ4pbupWeD4IeahEeeqJMAhrCv1znyQGAL45yOIArVltscW8GNhzfaWk5vKb9sIAm2mJZPc3b7te3c=
login2.archer2.ac.uk,193.62.216.43 ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBEnMeFf1TPZ4pbupWeD4IeahEeeqJMAhrCv1znyQGAL45yOIArVltscW8GNhzfaWk5vKb9sIAm2mJZPc3b7te3c=
login3.archer2.ac.uk,193.62.216.44 ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBEnMeFf1TPZ4pbupWeD4IeahEeeqJMAhrCv1znyQGAL45yOIArVltscW8GNhzfaWk5vKb9sIAm2mJZPc3b7te3c=
login4.archer2.ac.uk,193.62.216.45 ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLXNoYTItbmlzdHAyNTYAAAAIbmlzdHAyNTYAAABBBEnMeFf1TPZ4pbupWeD4IeahEeeqJMAhrCv1znyQGAL45yOIArVltscW8GNhzfaWk5vKb9sIAm2mJZPc3b7te3c=
markr@pumanew:~/.ssh>ssh mricha@login.archer2.ac.uk ls
The authenticity of host ‘login.archer2.ac.uk (193.62.216.42)’ can’t be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:UGS+LA8I46LqnD58WiWNlaUFY3uD1WFr+V8RCG09fUg.
ECDSA key fingerprint is MD5:71:2a:aa:7a:b1:a5:43:03:d2:ec:4a:da:5f:c0:0f:8c.
Warning: Permanently added ‘login.archer2.ac.uk’ (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
bin
BUILD
cesm_prep
ck-bin
cylc-run
Docker
Experimental
later_dot_cime
monc_module_prep_202207.txt
mr_dot_cime_fragments
mrigrep.txt
my_modules
NOTES
Projects
PythonHPC.zip
SingWork
SW
TAR_files

A weakness of “known_hosts” I think. DNS lookup and multiple identity for an alias “login.archer2.ac.uk” added to complications. Suite has started and Gcyls showing correctly.

thanks for the help and good suggestions
Mark