UKCA error when reading in initial data / wrong number of prognostic fields

Hi Helpdesk,

I followed the online information to get the standard UKESM1.1-AMIP suite running on ARCHER2: UKESM1.1-AMIP Release Notes. My job is u-cs003.

I haven’t made any additional changes apart from the ones specified on the website. However, the model fails with the following error:

???
???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!! ERROR ???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!
? Error code: 102
? Error from routine: INITIAL_4A
? Error message: INITDUMP: Wrong no of atmos prognostic fields
? Error from processor: 52
? Error number: 60
???

Are you able to please advise? As this is a standard version of the suite I would have thought that it would have ran.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Hello,
I think I’ve found the issue, so please don’t investigate this for now.
I hadn’t properly followed the step below.
Thanks,
Andrew

Optional configuration settings

To aid portability, the suites use site-specific optional configuration settings which override default values for some parameters when suite conf → Machine Options → Site at which model is being run is set to Archer2. In particular, when running on ARCHER2, the names for ancillaries in

• um → namelist → Reconfiguration and Ancillary Control → Configure ancils and initialise dump fields

are specified in app/um/opt/rose-app-archer2.conf.

Hi again,

I’m afraid that I’m still getting the same error. I added the ancils below (specified in app/um/opt/rose-app-archer2.conf) and also set the ‘source’ as ‘initialise from ancillary file’.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

[namelist:items(085d9ed4)]
ancilfilename=‘/work/n02/n02/waltonj/ancil/u-by791/u-by791_m01s00i216_1979-2014_annual_timeseries_land_cover_frac.anc’

[namelist:items(22b64ffe)]
ancilfilename=‘/work/n02/n02/waltonj/ancil/MEDUSA/clims/by791/CHL/CHL_clim_by791_1979_2014_n96.anc’

[namelist:items(6956d63c)]
ancilfilename=‘/work/n02/n02/waltonj/ancil/MEDUSA/clims/by791/DMS/DMS_clim_by791_1979_2014_n96.anc’

[namelist:items(6eae1ec3)]
ancilfilename=‘/work/n02/n02/waltonj/ancil/u-by791/u-by791_m01s00i218_1979-2014_time_mean_canopy_height.anc’

[namelist:items(9566169f)]
ancilfilename=‘/work/n02/n02/waltonj/ancil/u-by791/u-by791_m01s00i217_1979-2014_monthly_climatology_LAI.anc’

Hi Andrew,

You don’t need to add the ancils manually; that section was just alerting you to the fact that they are in an optional configuration file that gets automatically loaded when you set the “Site at which the model is being run” to Archer2.

Have you run the reconfiguration?

Cheers,
Ros.

Andrew

The problem appears to be with the start file, it’s still missing some required data (that’s what the error message is telling us at least.)

Can you try a different start file?

Grenvill

Hi Grenville,

I don’t have a different start file, but I could ask Luke Abraham if he has one.

I’m just trying to run the standard job for the UKESM1.1-AMIP model (https://cms.ncas.ac.uk/unified-model/configurations/ukesm/relnotes-1.1/amip/), so I’m using the startdump that came with that job.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Hi Ros,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Oh, I had switched off the ‘Run Reconfiguration’ button, which may explain this :blush:

Let me investigate …

Best wishes,

Andrew

Hi Ros,

I ran the reconfiguration but it fails with the error below, which seems to be a permission error related to reading in the start file. The file is obviously there, and the permissions seem correct. So I’m a little confused what the issue is.

Thanks,

Andrew

OPEN: File Open Failed: Permission denied

???
??? WARNING ???
? Warning code: -12
? Warning from routine: io:file_open
? Warning message: An error occurred opening a file
? Warning from processor: 0
? Warning number: 2
???

???
? Error code: 1
? Error from routine: io:file_open
? Error message: Failed to open file /work/n02/n02/anmcr/cylc-run/u-cs003/share/data/cs003a.astart
? Error from processor: 0
? Error number: 3
???

Hi Andrew,

The suite u-cj514 runs straight out of the box with just the changes detailed in the above link and I suggest turning off the mirad of development tests which you don’t need. I ran it ok last night.

Can I suggest you try taking a clean copy of the that suite and run again please?

Cheers,
Ros.

Hi Ros,
Okay. I will do this now and update you.
Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Ros,

I started from scratch, and also switched off all the ‘tests’. However, I get the same error as above, which seems to be around not having the correct permission to open my reconfigured start file. See below.

Best wishes,

Andrew

OPEN: File Open Failed: Permission denied

???
??? WARNING ???
? Warning code: -12
? Warning from routine: io:file_open
? Warning message: An error occurred opening a file
? Warning from processor: 0
? Warning number: 2
???

???
? Error code: 1
? Error from routine: io:file_open
? Error message: Failed to open file /work/n02/n02/anmcr/cylc-run/u-cs043/share/data/cs043a.astart
? Error from processor: 0
? Error number: 3
???

Hi Andrew,

I hadn’t appreciated you had run the suite several times, with it working fine on the first attempt and then failing subsequently. I can now see what’s going on.

1st run with recon - ainitial symlink to JWs start file, reconfigured dump written to astart
2nd run without recon - astart symlink to JWs start file - fails as dump needs reconfiguring
3rd run with recon - ainitial symlink to JWs start file, can’t write reconfigured dump as astart previously symlink’d to JW in 2nd run; permission denied.

This is a problem with the suite setup.

In app/install_cold/opt remove the file rose-app-no-recon.conf.
This will mean when reconfiguration is switched off after having run it successfully once, the reconfigured dump will be used rather than defaulting back to the ainitial file.
You’ll need to do a rose suite-run --new to clear things out.

I will let the Met Office know so that they can fix the suite.

I noticed that you’ve taken a copy of the suite branch u-cj514/porting_fixes rather than the trunk. I think it is probably ok but there are a couple of edits in the trunk that aren’t in the porting_fixes branch. So to be safe I would suggest switching to using the trunk. Always take the suite trunk unless instructions explicitly say otherwise.

Cheers,
Ros.

Hi Ros,

Thanks for your quick reply. I implemented all the suggestions you made, and the model is running successfully (it hasn’t finished yet, but I can see that its moving forward through the model timesteps).

I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes,

Andrew