Effect of changing processor number

Hi,

When I was testing one my code modifications in UM12.0 in Archer2-puma2 for my research related work, I tried changing to the below processor numbers in the rose-suite.conf

MAIN_ATM_PROCX=26

MAIN_ATM_PROCY=24

compared to the original values of

MAIN_ATM_PROCX=24

MAIN_ATM_PROCY=21.

I have kept all other entries related to the processor numbers intact (OMP_ATM, PE_ATM, etc.).

This was to test if my code modifications has any dependence on the processor number configurations. But I did find some small changes in the model output. I was wondering if this is an issue with my code modifications, or you really expect the results to look slightly different when I make the processor number changes as above?

Cheers,

Timmy

Hi,

This behaviour depends on the model schemes.

If this is an UKESM type configuration with full chemistry then changing answers with PE setup is a known feature of the solver used.

On the other hand a GA/GC model without chemistry is expected to maintain the results for different PE setups. If this is not seen a bug has likely been introduced from a code change.

--

Mohit