Error ‘unbound variable’, related to ancillaries / using ERA5

Hi Grenville,

Claudio suggested that I run ‘fcm co u-by395/archer2_um12p0’ on pumanew to check out a copy of the RNS branch. I tried this but it gave this error:

-bash-4.2$ fcm co u-by395/archer2_um12p0
svn: E205000: Try ‘svn help checkout’ for more information
svn: E205000: Error parsing arguments
[FAIL] svn checkout u-by395/archer2_um12p0 # rc=1

Can you please advise ?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew

The usual practice would be to make a copy of the suite and check out the copy, which you will own. Use rosie go to discover the suite, then “right click on archer2_um12p0” and select Copy suite. It will check out your copy automatically

Grenville

Thanks, Grenville.
I have made a copy.
I looked at this but hadn’t appreciated that their were different branches for the same suite.
Andrew

Hi Grenville,

As mentioned, I made a copy of u-by395, which is u-ct942.

• The model was already setup to run using Met Office analysis data, which worked fine.

• I then changed the input data to ERA5, and the model failed on two places:

• Firstly, making the vegfrac LAM ancillaries and a ‘unbound variable’ error.

• I set this to complete just to see if the GLM would run, and got a second error for the GLM reconfiguration, which seemed to be related to either software not being installed correctly or environment variables not defined correctly.

I’ve added screen shots below.

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Grenville,

I wonder if you have been able to look at these issues. I’m afraid that I’m complete stuck, and have been trying since November to get a version of the nested suite to run properly on ARCHER2 using ERA5

Do you know anyone who has the nested suite running using ERA5 on Archer? If so, perhaps I could contact them.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Hi Grenville,

I got my suite to run on Archer2 (u-ct942). This is a N320 glm forced by ERA5, with a 12 km LAM over South Orkney Islands. This is a copy of u-by395, which Claudio Sanchez at the MO suggested I try.

However, the issue with extremely low temperatures being simulated (-150C) is still occurring in the LAM output. See attached screen shot.

Note that using vn11.1 of the nested suite on Monsoon (N320 glm, ERA5, and based on one of my old runs) works fine. So does this suggest that there is a fundamental issue with how the model is running/setup on Archer2?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Grenville,
The glm output seems fine.
See screenshot.
Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Grenville,

I think its worked :blush:

I used the suite to remake the 12 km LAM ancillaries, and also set ANTS=false. And the 1.5 m temperature output finally looks normal. So it looks as if the issue was in making the LAM ancillaries. Attached is the 1.5m temperature for the 12 km domain.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I am glad you have this running. We delivered our UM training course in Leeds this week which took up our all of our focus.

Grenville