How to find my external hard drive on Jasmin

Hello Patrick,

Before Christmas we had a meeting where you showed me how to find my way around Jasmin. I am now trying to locate my hard drive in Jasmin, so that I can perform analysis on my files.

I remember that you told me to just cd into that directory, but I cannot remember where it is located, and the internet hasn’t proved too fruitful.

My hard drive is located on my local machine, in usb port D. From my hyland_2 folder in Jasmin what would I type in to access the hard drive.

Thank you,

All the best,

Benedict

Hi Benedict

DId you get it working yet?

There are several ways to do things along the lines of what you want.

Are you using MobaXTerm?
if so, see:

In MobaXTerm, you can get scp and/or sftp working, for example.
See:

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

That has helped, I have managed to access my drives on MobaXTerm, but unfortunately the command doesn’t work on the Jasmin servers. However, for the time being what I have now is all right. I have downloaded the reanalysis data, merged the .nc files together and I am now working on a python script to analyse the data which I can do on my local machine.

All the best,

Benedict

Hi Patrick,

I have just played around with it a bit more, that webpage is amazing! In short it worked, but I had to do it on my local rather than from the Jasmin machine. Just tested scp-ing in a file and it has worked which I am thrilled about. Thank you so much, that is really going to help.

All the best,

Benedict

Hi Benedict
I am glad it’s working better now.

You said that you did the processing on your local machine instead of on JASMIN.

Do you want to do the processing on JASMIN instead? Is the data existing on JASMIN?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I am hoping to do the computationally heavy tasks on JASMIN, but for now where I am just concatenating files and tidying up the data my local machine is powerful enough to do this. The data files are stored on my local setup because JASMIN 1 and 2 don’t have enough storage for the files. I think they have only 100Gb. I think I should be able to store it on Xfer, however since I have the data on my local disk it was easier for me to do this on a system I know at the moment.

All the best,

Benedict

Hi Benedict
How much space do you need on JASMIN for the files and the processing?
Patrick

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.