Not able to produce proper orog ancillaries using RAS

Hello CMS

I have been using the RAS (u-cq149) to produce orographic ancillaries based on ANTS to get the SRTM 100m DEM into qrparm.orog for my nested suite runs. I can see that the resolved field which gets created in the orog_srtm directory is picking up finer details now as opposed to the earlier default DEM in the UM. I then combine this new SRTM field along with other fields in qrparm.orog (not changing the other fields like gradients in x and y) to get the final qrparm.orog with SRTM altitudes. However, my nested suite run fails with the following error:

???
???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!! ERROR ???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!
? Error code: 1001
? Error from routine: ANCIL_CHECK_MOD::REPORT_ANCIL_ERRORS
? Error message:
? ERRORS: 2 ancil files have failed ancil checking and resulted in this abort:
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrparm.orog.mn
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrparm.orog
?
? WARNINGS: 7 ancil files have failed ancil checking. These files did not cause an abort
? due to the setting of l_ignore_ancil_grid_check=.true. in the items namelist:
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrclim.sslt
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrclim.blck
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrclim.dust
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrclim.ocff
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrclim.sulp
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrclim.biom
? – /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrclim.biog
?
? Any fields causing an error will have produced an ereport
? warning earlier in the run, please search the log files for
? each ancil filename for more details on each failure.
? Error from processor: 0
? Error number: 24

and warnings likes these:

? Warning code: -15000
? Warning from routine: ANCIL_CHECK_HORIZONTAL_GRID
? Warning message: Mismatch between model and ancil field y grid spacing
? Expected y grid spacing : 0.0135000000
? Ancil y grid spacing : 0.0134997368
? Ancil file : /work/n02/n02/aurocumulus/cylc-run/u-dc704/share/data/ancils/Alps/km1p5/qrparm.orog
? Lookup num : 10
? Stashcode : 7
? Warning from processor: 0
? Warning number: 23

How should I get past recon? Please advice.
Best
Sid

Sid

I suggest that you set l_ignore_ancil_grid_check=.true. for the regional model orography – that will be set in one of the many optional override files for the um app (I didn’t check which :slightly_smiling_face:).

Grenville

1 Like

Thanks Grenville. That worked! The um_fcst run (inner high-res domain) has been submitted now. I will update as it progresses.
Many thanks again
Best
Sid

P.S. The run was successful! Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.