Vn12.0 suite using Cariolle ozone scheme crashing in reconfiguration

Dear CMS Modelling Helpdesk,

I am setting up a vn12.0 suite to run on MONSooN2 that uses the Cariolle ozone scheme. I have taken a copy of a vn12.0 suite that was run on the MetO Cray machine (u-cg225) and made a new suite (u-cj225) which needed some minor changes to point to the correct ancillary file locations. To turn on the Cariolle scheme option I have:

1. Turned on the l_use_cariolle logical
  2. Turned on the l_use_ozoneinrad logical
  3. Created new Cariolle ancillaries for fields 480-487 and pointed the suite to these files. The new Cariolle ancillary files were made by regridding an older file to the N96L85 grid. The original file, regridded file, ancillary file and the xancil job used to create the files are all here:
    /projects/ukca-cam/jkeeb/ancils/cariolle

When I run this suite, it crashes in the reconfiguration step, with the following warnings/error:

???
??? WARNING ???
? Warning code: -15000
? Warning from routine: ANCIL_CHECK_HORIZONTAL_GRID
? Warning message: Mismatch between model and ancil field x grid spacing
? Expected x grid spacing : 1.8750000000
? Ancil x grid spacing : 360.0000000000
? Ancil file : /projects/ukca-cam/jkeeb/ancils/cariolle/regridded_N96_L85_cariolle_ancils
? Lookup num : 8160
? Stashcode : 487
? Warning from processor: 0
? Warning number: 16320
???

???
??? WARNING ???
? Warning message: Mismatch between model and ancil field ozone row length
? Expected ozone row length : 192
? Ancil ozone row length : 1
? Ancil file : /projects/ukca-cam/jkeeb/ancils/cariolle/regridded_N96_L85_cariolle_ancils
? Lookup num : 8160
? Stashcode : 487
? Warning number: 16321
???

???
???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!! ERROR ???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!
? Error code: 1001
? Error from routine: ANCIL_CHECK_MOD::REPORT_ANCIL_ERRORS
? Error message:
? ERRORS: 1 ancil files have failed ancil checking and resulted in this abort:
? – /projects/ukca-cam/jkeeb/ancils/cariolle/regridded_N96_L85_cariolle_ancils
?
? Any fields causing an error will have produced an ereport
? warning earlier in the run, please search the log files for
? each ancil filename for more details on each failure.
? Error from processor: 0
? Error number: 16322
???

This error seems to be saying that the model is expecting a 3D ozone ancillary file, but all the old Cariolle files are only 2D. I have tried switching l_ozone_init to 2D, but this made no difference.

Can you advise on how to resolve this error? Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide.

Best,
James

You could try setting l_ignore_ancil_grid_check = .true. for the ozone ancillary file. That’s sweeping something under the carpet, so double check that the model runs correctly if it works at all.

Grenville

Hi Grenville,

I set l_ignore_ancil_grid_check = .true. for the ozone ancillary, and then also tried running with this file being ignored (I don’t think I need it as the Cariolle scheme should provide the ozone field) and both tests came back with the same error. Is there a specific requirement in the ancillary file metadata that tells the model the input field is a zonal mean? My Cariolle ancillary files have shape 12x85x144x1, but its not obvious to me why the reconfiguration is expecting a file with shape 12x85x144x192 unless there is something in the metadata/rose suite configuration.

James

James

Try setting zon_av_ozone=.true.

Grenville

HI Grenville,

Sorry for not getting back for so long - when the postproc went down I wasn’t able to continue the runs and have only just been able to get back to this. I set zon_av_ozone=.true., and the error message for stash codes 481-487 changed to this:

? Warning message: Mismatch between model and ancil field ozone grid x start
? Expected ozone grid x start : 0.0000000000
? Ancil ozone grid x start : 359.0625000000
? Lookup num : 8054
? Stashcode : 486
? Warning number: 8140

I then created new ancils files with 0.000 as the longitude coordinate, and with that change the reconfiguration now has no problem with the ancillaries for 481-487. However, under both tests 480, the prognostic ozone tracer, still has the same error message from the first comment with issues around expecting a 3D ancillary with, although now rather than saying that the Expected ozone row length : 192 it says the Expected p row length : 192

Best,
James