Access to Acclimation run data from ARCHER2 AMIP runs

Hi Becky:
You said you wanted a note asking if you need the 6-hrly data for the u-cm923 (acclimationNew) and u-cm922 (No Acclimation) suites?
you might need to apply for GWS access to the porcelain_rdg GWS, if you don’t have it already.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks. Can I have monthly output please, just checked and that is what I have for the offline. I just thought, are the files netcdf, I know the UM usually output’s .pp files, but I have no idea how to convert those, so is there any chance of getting them as netcdf format? I doubt I have access to the porcelain_rdg GWS (do you have the pathname and I will check), but if not I will apply.

Thank you,

Becky

Hi Patrick,

Could I get the landcover ancillary too please?

Thanks,

Becky

Hi Becky:

I will look into getting the data off of tape for you and ChrisH.

Yes, it is 6-hourly pp files. I have scripts to convert it to seasonal or monthly pp files. These can be converted to NETCDF.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. I will need monthly, but I think Chris H will need seasonal also as I think that’s what most of the comparisons between offline and coupled were, although you might remember better than me?

Chris, I have just got access to the PORCELAIN_rdg group workspace on JASMIN (where Patrick will put the files). Do you have JASMIN access? If so its quick and easy to request access to the GWS, if not I can pull the files across when they’re available and put them somewhere on our system.

Thanks,

Becky

Hi Becky:

I think I just figured out the data.

The PP data for the seasons and the months is in the supermeans folders of the u-cm923 and u-cm922 subfolders of:
/gws/nopw/j04/porcelain_rdg/pmcguire/archer2_archive2

Patrick

Hi again Becky & Chris
There is an example script that I wrote for reading the monthly pp files and merging them to monthly timeseries NC files for the three 32-year time periods indexed by the start years (1950, 1982, 2019) in
/gws/nopw/j04/porcelain_rdg/pmcguire/acclimation/scatter/
mergeExtract2c4f_1950.scr
mergeExtract2c4f_1982.scr
mergeExtract2c4f_2019.scr
This calls the version of the Python code:
mergeExtract2c4f.py

There is also a Python script in for making annual time-series curves plotted vs. month:
/gws/nopw/j04/porcelain_rdg/pmcguire/acclimation/annual/annual2a9g.py

This can get you started.
Patrick

Hi Becky & ChrisH:
Did you get things working ok?
Patrick

Hi ChrisH and Becky:
can you read pp files?
Patrick

Hi Patrick – many thanks for getting back. I would prefer not to use pp.

Now, this is easy to do and will not take much of your time – especially if the files exist. Indeed, I think most files do exist – so it is just a case answering the below.

What we need here in CEH is simply the monthly NetCDF files.

So in your directory:

/gws/nopw/j04/porcelain_rdg/pmcguire/acclimation/scatter

I can see a file named:

cm923__precipitation_flux_jan_2019-2050_v1c.nc

When I do a “ncdump -h”, this is as expected, of size [32, x, x]. So 32 years.

Here are the questions:

[1] What is the correct version to use? Is it “_v1c”

[2] Do these files all exist for the two other periods (“1950-1981” and “1982-2013”)?

[3] Do these files exist for all months? (Looks like if one month exists, all exist – so that’s OK).

[4] Ideally variables are temperature, rainfall, upward latent heat flux, upward sensible heat flux

[5] Critically, do all files exist for “cm922” and “cm923”.

[6] Is “cm244” no acclimation and “cm245” with acclimation, but earlier periods?

So this makes:

3 x 12 x 4 x 2 files (i.e. period, month, variable, acclim/no acclim).

I’m a bit busy at the moment. But I can certainly work on it this week if the files exist and I can pull them over today or tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Chris

Hi ChrisH:

The only variables that I have processed so far in the manner that you found them are:
gross_primary_productivity_of_carbon
precipitation_flux
surface_upward_latent_heat_flux
moisture_content_of_soil_layer
surface_temperature
surface_upward_sensible_heat_flux

If you don’t want to adapt/run the scripts again, and if you don’t want to use the pp files, then these are the only variables we have right now.

Yes, version 1c is the latest version.

cm922/cm923 are for the future period 2019-2050.
cm244/cm245 are for the past and current periods 1950-2013.

The brief descriptions of the different suites are found in these files:
~pmcguire/roses/u-cm244/rose-suite.info
~pmcguire/roses/u-cm245/rose-suite.info
~pmcguire/roses/u-cm922/rose-suite.info
~pmcguire/roses/u-cm923/rose-suite.info

In those files and the associated Rose/Cylc suites, you can see that
u-cm244 is without acclimation, for 1949-2014,
u-cm245 is with acclimation, for 1949-2014,
u-cm922 is without acclimation, for 2015 - 2050, SSP585
u-cm923 is with acclimation, for 2015 - 2050, SSP585

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Perfect. I’ll now push on with things, and make sure we have a set of plots and a methodology available soon.

I will write again tomorrow if there are any issues with the fields (or missing files).

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Patrick – all good with the monthly files except for one that is missing.

Could you please run your script to create file:

cm922__surface_temperature_dec_2019-2050_v1c.nc

from

cm922__surface_temperature_dec_2019-2050_v1c.pp

There are quite a few seasonal means missing, but don’t worry about that – as long as I have a complete set of monthly .nc files, I can build seasonal values.

All the best,

Chris

Hi ChrisH:

I modified my mergeExtract2c4f_2019.scr script in /gws/nopw/j04/porcelain_rdg/pmcguire/acclimation/scatter,
and renamed the new version as mergeExtract2c4g_2019.scr . I then ran this script, recalculating:
cm922__surface_temperature_dec_2019-2050_v1c.pp
cm922__surface_temperature_dec_2019-2050_v1c.nc
cm923__surface_temperature_dec_2019-2050_v1c.pp
cm923__surface_temperature_dec_2019-2050_v1c.nc

These are all on disk now. I don’t know what happened the first time I calculated and made those files in July 2022.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I’ve just started looking at this. Do you have the landcover ancillary file for the coupled runs (preferably in netcdf)?

I need some extra variables from the coupled output (tgrowth from the acclimation runs and fsmc for all runs). Are these variables saved in the coupled output? Would it be possible to extract them (I just need monthly).

Many thanks,
Becky

Hi Becky:
I copied the ancil format version of qrparm.mask (together with qrparm.mask.xml) from ARCHER2 to
/gws/nopw/j04/porcelain_rdg/pmcguire/archer2_archive2/ancils.

This file was specified by the ACCLIMATION/PORCELAIN suite u-cm245, which was run with the ROSE_APP_OPT_CONF_KEY HORIZ setting of n216.

So this n216 setting points to:
u-cm245/app/install_ancil/opt/rose-app-n216.conf
which sources this file:
$UMDIR/ancil/data/ancil_versions/n216e_orca025/GA7.1_AMIP/v2/ancils
which contains this setting: $UM_ANCIL_MASK_DIR/$UM_ANCIL_MASK_FILE=$UMDIR/ancil/atmos/n216e/orca025/land_sea_mask/etop01/v2/qrparm.mask

Hopefully you can figure out how to view this file and convert it to NETCDF format. There might also be a longitudinal grid offset of 180 degrees, but I am not sure about that.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

If you did get a chance to extract the data from the coupled runs after today, I would need fsmc (acclimation and no acclimation runs) and tgrowth (just acclimation runs) (all monthly resolution) (I also need surface temperature but I think that is already there), and the ancillary file that gives the fractional cover of the different surface types. No worries if it’s not possible though.

Many thanks,

Becky

Hi Becky:
I haven’t been able to find either of these variables yet in the monthly means files. I am pretty sure that fsmc isn’t there, but I will keep looking. It is possible that tgrowth is there, but I need to look more carefully. Regardless, I will keep looking for both of these variables.

Have you already looked at the data in the directories, that I processed already? surface_temperature is certainly there.

I have transferred the ancillary files that gives the fractional cover of the 9 different surface types, as well as the associated func canht/lai prescribed-data file. Both NETCDF and ancil versions were already available for this. The files (which were used in the suite u-cm245) were transferred from archer2:/work/n02/n02/pmcguire/mtodt/veg_ancils/ to jasmin:/gws/nopw/j04/porcelain_rdg/pmcguire/archer2_archive2/ancils/veg/

I can’t open the file qrparm.cci.frac.nc with ncview, but ncinfo seems to say that it’s ok.
Patrick

Hi Becky:
I looked for t_growth_gb for a couple more hours.
I have only been able to find some values for some t_growth_gb in some of the start_dump files that we had archived for running continuation runs. The t_growth_gb has STASH CODE item 206, section 0. The start_dump files that I have on disk are the monthly dump files for some of the years. It’s not a complete set. It is highly likely, though, that there is a complete set of monthly dump files for each of the 32-year runs on tape. We could arrange to retrieve these files from tape, but it will take some sorting out and some work.

I will look more for the fsmc variable now.
Patrick

Hi again, Becky:
I looked in this file on puma2:
~pmcguire/um/r76551_vn11.5_acclimation3/rose-meta/um-atmos/HEAD/etc/stash/STASHmaster/STASHmaster_A

and I found a line in that file, which appears to be for the variable fsmc:
1| 1 | 3 | 313 |SOIL MOIS AVAIL FACTOR ON PFTS |

Unfortunately, I don’t see any requests for that stash code (3,313) in the suites that I ran on ARCHER2. Sorry!
Patrick