Changing the range with ncview doesn't work on a Mac

Hi Patrick!

Ncview offers the option to change the range (Minimum and Maximum) when viewing any nc file. It works in JASMIN and other servers where I have nc files, but it doesn’t in my MacBook. I can’t change the range of values, any idea? Does it work in your MacBook?

Omar

Hi Omar
I just used ‘brew install ncview’, to install ncview on my Mac. I didn’t have it on my Mac before, since I use JASMIN mostly.
This installed ncview version 2.1.8 on my Mac. I guess this is the latest version?

It seems to work fine on my Mac, with changing values of the min and max. I usually click on the number (i.e. -8749 in your image) with the mouse, and use the keyboard to change the numerical values, and then press OK.

I have Catalina 10.15.7 on my Mac.

Patrick

Ok, so it is an issue on my Mac. I will try reinstalling.

Thanks,

Omar.

Hi Omar:

It’s worth trying to reinstall it. Let me know if it works.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I also have ncview 2.1.8 and Catalina, and I do the steps you do to change the range, but for some reason it doesn’t work in my laptop.

Omar.

Hi Omar:

Are you using the same NETCDF file to test it with, on the different platforms?

Patrick

Hi,

It is the same for all files. But, to be sure, I recently tested the same file (attached) remotely and locally. I can edit the range in JASMIN but not in the Mac.

Omar

Hi Omar:

That file works fine on ncview on my Mac.

See the attached, where I changed the min value to 1000 m.

Can we do Skype now, to see if I can see the problem on your computer?

Patrick

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 20.57.44

Sure, I call you in a minute.
Omar

Omar and I Skyped, and he shared the screen.

It turns out that the keyboard could not be used to make any entries in ncview.

The first suggestion was to restart the Mac, but Omar didn’t want to do that as a first thing to try, since he had lots of other windows open.

The second suggestion was to restart XQuartz (X windows). Omar tried this, and it solved the problem. The keyboard works with ncview running on his Mac, and he can change the range of the plots.
Patrick

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.