Missing WFDEI file for rainfall for April 2009

Hi DaveC:
This file for WFDEI rainfall data for April 2009 in the jules GWS on JASMIN appears to be missing. The other files for other months seem to be there. But I haven’t done an exhaustive filecheck. Can you get this file copied there?
Thanks,
Patrick
FILE:
/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_200904.nc

Hi again:
This file for WFDEI rainfall for March 2011 also seems to be missing. Can this file be found?
Patrick
/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_201103.nc

I think that data set is from the MO but I if it’s on the /projects directory of Monsoon then I don’t know where. Perhaps a copy is at NCAR or something?
I really don’t know where it’s from - if my name is the owner on JASMIN it’s perhaps because I moved the data when tidying the gws? We’ve run out of space before. (This is a guess). I don’t know who downloaded it or where they got it, sorry.

Hi DaveC
OK. Thanks. I guess I will have to copy it from somewhere. I thought someone asked you to put the WFDEI 1979-2016 data on JASMIN, and yes, you are the owner.
Patrick

The data came from Rich Ellis at CEH - I’ve tracked it down. He put it on JASMIN scratch and I took it from there. I guess if there is more data which should be in the set, CEH will have it.

Thanks.
Maybe some user accidentally deleted 2-3 of the files after you copied it there?
The file permissions seem to allow at least me to write to that directory.
Patrick

I asked Rich Ellis about the missing files.
He said he would look into it.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Both these files seem to be on jasmin
/gws/nopw/j04/jules//data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_CRU_land/Rainf_WFDEI_CRU_land_200904.nc

/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Rainf_WFDEI_land_200904.nc

I will check again tomorrow more rigorously.

Cheerio,

Rich

Thanks, Rich:

This file isn’t there, though:

/gws/nopw/j04/jules//data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_land/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_200904.nc

Patrick

Hi Rich:

I looked in more detail just now.

The link is indeed there:
/gws/nopw/j04/jules//data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Rainf_WFDEI_land_200904.nc

But this link points to
/gws/nopw/j04/jules//data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_200904.nc

And that file is not there.

Patrick

Hi Patrick:

Roger that. I have scped the required file over to the directory and it should all be tickety boo now.

Let me know if there are any other missing files.

Cheerio,

Rich

Thanks, Rich
I see the 200904 files now.

The only other files I have found so far that are missing are:

/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_land/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_201103.nc
/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_201103.nc
/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Snowf_WFDEI_land/Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_197901.nc
/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_197901.nc

There might be other files missing too, but I haven’t searched exhaustively.
Patrick

Hi Rich
Were you able to find these other 4 files? Or is there a place I can copy them from, myself?
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I am back from leave and looking at this. I am not sure why but I think this is two missing files but each is in 2 directories

/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_land/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_201103.nc

/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Snowf_WFDEI_land/Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_197901.nc
/gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_197901.nc

I have put a copy of Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_201103.nc in /gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/

and tried to put a copy of Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_197901.nc in /gws/nopw/j04/jules/data/WFD-EI-Forcing/Snowf_WFDEI_GPCC_land/ but got a permission denied error.

Also looking in the directories there are a lot of links. Some of them point to a different file than the name of this link.

For instance

Rainf_WFDEI_GPCC_land_201701.nc -> ../Rainf_WFDEI_CRU_land/Rainf_WFDEI_CRU_land_201701.nc

I shall ask about here and see if anyone has a full and clean set of WFDEI data on jasmin and, if they have, where it is.

Rich

Hi Rich:

Thanks for looking at this, and for trying to get a clean WFDEI dataset on JASMIN!

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

As far as I can tell, there is no one using this dataset here, at Wallingford. The only person using WFDEI on JASMIN was Becky Oliver and she is using

/gws/nopw/j04/ncas_generic/users/pmcguire/WFDEI/%vv/

which I do not have permissions to look at. I am guessing that you have QC’d that though!

I am not really sure where to go with. I don’t want to upload a “clean” version of the data and have a near duplicate. There may be others outside CEH who are using this scrappy data though!

Hmmm,

Rich

Hi Rich:
Can you upload a clean set of the data? I will ask the jules list if anybody is using the current data.

You can put the data in a different directory either in the jules GWS if there is space, or in scratch.

I will try to get the current data deleted once we have a clean version.

This version of WFDEI goes from 1979-2016 and is 1D-land-only.

The version of WFDEI in /gws/nopw/j04/ncas_generic/users/pmcguire/WFDEI is older, and it only goes from 1979-2012, and it is a 2D dataset.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I have finally managed to stay attached to jasmin for long enough to upload WFDEI files to scratch-nopw under /work/scratch-nopw/rjellis/

I should have the files untarred by this evening. I think there are files up to EOY 2018, except for the GPCC rainfall which is to EOY 2016.

If you find any missing files let me know.

I shall look and see if the jules-gws has room in the next day or so and shift them across, if it has.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich:

Excellent! Thank you!

If you’d like me to move them to the jules-gws, I think I can do that. I think we can probably remove the current version from there, without complaints, since nobody has replied to my jules listserv maillist query about it. Did you see that query?

Patrick

Hi Rich:

Your stuff will probably get deleted from scratch before April 28 or something like that, due to the JASMIN policy.

Did you want me to move your WFDEI files from scratch to the jules GWS? Or did you want to do that yourself?

Patrick