Pumatest account + set-up for running MetUM on ARCHER2

Hi CMS,

I’ve just started a job using the UM again, although this time instead of monsoon I’m going to be running on archer. I understand that the way to use the UM on Archer2 is to use pumatest. I am pretty sure that I have a puma account (user: shakka - will it be the same?) but I don’t have any of my old credentials / ssh keys.

Could you point me in the direction of any setup instructions to use pumatest and archer2? And if my account hasn’t been carried over from puma, how do I setup a new pumatest account ?

Many thanks,
Ella

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.

Hi Ella,
I’ve copied your PUMA account over to pumatest as per our separate emails. ARCHER2 instructions will be forthcoming after Easter.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Ella,

You will need to generate an id_rsa_archer ssh key and setup ssh-agent if you haven’t already, as per the instructions here: http://cms.ncas.ac.uk/wiki/Archer2/SshAgentSetup

Regards,
Ros.

Thanks Ros, I’ve managed to login to archer and pumatest separately and followed all of the steps up to step 5 on the doc (http://cms.ncas.ac.uk/wiki/Archer2/SshAgentSetup). As it says to wait until the archerum key is ready before proceeding, how will I know when my archerum key has been installed? Shall I just give it 48 hours and try again?

Best wishes,
Ella

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.

Hi Ella,

I’ll run the script to grab the key and send it over to ARCHER2 shortly. I’ll let you know when they’ve told me it’s been installed.

Cheers,
Ros.

Brilliant, thanks Ros.

Hi Ella,

ARCHER2 have just confirmed your id_rsa_archerum key has now been installed. Please let me know if it’s working ok.

Cheers,
Ros.

Hi Ros,

Yes that all seems to be working fine, thanks. Can you point me towards the docs for running the UM on Archer? (I’ve had a look at http://cms.ncas.ac.uk/wiki/Archer2#UM so far). Do I have to submit jobs while logged into pumatest, using .rc files stored on archer?

Archer2 – NCAS Computational Modelling Services
ARCHER2 - Full System. This page is currently under development The ARCHER2 Service is a world class advanced computing resource for UK researchers.
cms.ncas.ac.uk
|

• |

Best wishes,
Ella

Hi Ella,

Basically, you run all the Rose & Cylc commands you are used to running on the Monsoon login nodes on pumatest. You checkout the Rose suite on pumatest and edit as you would usually using rose edit. Then you rose suite-run the suite from pumatest.

An example can be found in our training documentation:

https://ncas-cms.github.io/um-training/running.html

[caveat: I think u-cc519 referenced in that chapter has been updated for the full system but I’m not one hundred percent sure - haven’t quite got around to updating all the example suites from 4-cab to 23-cab yet]

Regards,
Ros.

Great, thanks Ros. That’s very helpful.
Best wishes,
Ella

Hi Ros,

Thanks for your help so far. I’ve been trying to follow the instructions in the link you sent, plus the nesting suite instructions to get the nesting suite to run on archer2. So far I’ve not had much success. My copy of cc519 doesn’t submit (connection timed out error), and the copy I took of the nesting suite tuned for archer2 (u-by395/archer2) stalls on the ANCIL_TOP stage.

I didn’t see an exclamation mark or the option to change the site in the jinja2 section though, so I wonder if it could be to do with updating the sites directory incorrectly?

My two working copies are u-cn406 (cp of u-cc519) and u-cn403 (cp u-by395/archer2).

Thanks
Ella

Hi Ella,

Can you change your ARCHER2 permissions so we can read your directories please?

chmod -R g+rX /home/n02/n02/shakka
chmod -R g+rX /work/n02/n02/shakka

Cheers,
Ros.

Hi Ella,

I’ve just committed some changes for u-cc519 so if you delete the previous version and check it out again it should work now.

u-by395/archer2 hasn’t be ported to the full Archer2 system yet - it’s still setup for the 4-cab. Is this the suite you ultimately want to be running for your research?

Cheers,
Ros.

Hi Ros,

I’ve updated the permissions on my work and home directories now.

I deleted and checked out u-cc519 again and it now completes the fcm step but fails to submit the HPC_SERIAL (i.e. fcm_make2) step.

re u-by395, I will be needing a version of the nesting suite to use on archer, and the newer the version the better, but I could settle for something less recent than 11.8 if that’s easier. What’s the most recent version of the nesting suite that runs successfully on archer2?

Thanks,
Ella

Hi Ella,

u-cc519 has failed to submit due to the account code. You need to change it to your project code as you don’t have access to n02-cms budget.

I’ll get back to you about the nesting suite.

Cheers,
Ros.

Woops - silly mistake. Thanks!
E

Hi Ros,

I’ve had a chat with Robin Smith, who tells me that to use the JULES settings that I want I will need to use a suite with GA7.0 (vn 11.8?) onwards. I know you mentioned that the nesting suite hasn’t been updated for the 23-cab yet, but I was wondering what the timeframe for this is expected to be.

Is there likely to be a version of the nesting suite at vn11.8 on archer soon? Otherwise I can look into other options for the time-being.

Best wishes,

Ella

Hi Ella

u-by395 supports ga7 and ga7+ apparently - maybe check with Stuart Webster or Claudio Sanchez to find out excatly what that means – see also /home/grenville/roses/u-by395/app/um/opt/rose-app-ga7.conf and /home/grenville/roses/u-by395/app/um/opt/rose-app-ga7plus.conf.

Grenville

Thanks Grenville. Is there a set of startdumps somewhere on ARCHER that I can use for testing or do I need to request some myself?

Best wishes,

Ella

Hi Grenville/Ros,

I’ve tried to submit u-cn403 (my copy of the the ga7+ compatible nesting suite) using the startdump under /work/y07/shared/umshared/um-training/ and cycle settings as in by-395 but I’m still getting an error during the ancil production.

The log files say:
(login.archer2.ac.uk) 2022-04-28T15:57:22Z [STDERR] sbatch: error: AssocMaxCpuMinutesPerJobLimit
(login.archer2.ac.uk) 2022-04-28T15:57:22Z [STDERR] sbatch: error: Batch job submission failed: Job violates accounting/QOS policy (job submit limit, user’s size and/or time limits)
[((‘event-mail’, ‘submission retry’), 1) ret_code] 0

I haven’t seen somewhere to update the charging code in this suite, do I need to update the .rc files somewhere? I’ve tried grepping a few relevant terms but I couldn’t find a reference to an HPC charging account anywhere.

Thanks!
Ella