USE_ANTS on archer2

Hello,

Looking for help on how to get USE_ANTS working (and thus make use of the cci data). With the switch set to true I receive the following error that the ants directory is not found:

cmdTrace.c(713):ERROR:104: ‘restore’ is an unrecognized subcommand
cmdModule.c(411):ERROR:104: ‘restore’ is an unrecognized subcommand
/bin/sh: /home/bassett/cylc-run/u-ce122/share/fcm_make_ants/bin/python: No such file or directory
[FAIL] ${ANTS_PYTHON_PATH}/bin/python -s ${ANTS_PYTHON_PATH}/bin/ancil_landseamask.py ${source} --target-grid ${target_grid}
[FAIL] -o ${output} --ants-config ${ANTS_CONFIG} <<‘STDIN
[FAIL]
[FAIL] ‘STDIN’ # return-code=127
2022-05-04T14:18:46Z CRITICAL - failed/EXIT

This same error occurs when running my own suite (upgraded to vn12.2), an earlier attempt using vn11.1 as this nesting suite was supposed to have ants (I don’t have the link to the supported suits as the website has changed) and also using u-ce122 from the UM tutorial. Section 7.5 (7. Further Exercises (2) — NCAS Unified Model Introduction) suggests ants ancillaries will be created.

I’ve had a root around $UMDIR to see if there is a copy of this folder but not found anything yet so any help much appreciated!

Richard

Hi Richard

I’m not sure we ever claimed ANTS would work in a nesting suite - the CAP does.
We are working on getting ANTS to run elegantly on ARCHER2.

Grenville

Great, yes please let me know when this is working ok.

Similar question, do you know when a nesting suite will be supported on vn12.2?
I’ve tried but received “/bin/sh: um-createbc.exe: command not found”. Vn11.7 nesting suite runs without problems.

Much appreciated, Richard

Hi both, if you’ll excuse me barging in, I would also be very keen to hear about any progress updates to get ANTS and version 12 of the nesting suite running on archer2.
Cheers,
Ella

Hi Ella, I’ve not heard back on v12.2 nesting yet but have been able to get ANTS to run using the singularity container on Archer2 so we can use the ESACCI land use data (ANTS). Not completely figured it all out yet but will post up a link to notes / submission scripts when finished.
Richard

Thanks for the link & update Richard. I’ll have a go with ANTS myself but any insight you can offer would be super helpful too. Best, Ella

Ella and Richard,

I have a very, very scruffy version of the nesting suite u-by395 (at UM version 12.0), from which I’ve made a branch for Archer2.
You may be interested to check out:
URL: https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/svn/roses-u/b/y/3/9/5/archer2_um12p0
at:
Revision: 227197

It’s not done elegantly, I’m afraid. But if you can run this then it might be a place to start with the things that you’re looking to do. You should be able to build the UM, make ancil files (with ANTS), and give them a spin. Let me know,
Dave

1 Like

Thanks Dave, this is great - I’ve managed to take a copy now and am running a few tests. Ella